Behavior Consultation for Dogs
We work with dogs who need help with:
- Reactivity and aggression
- Excessive vocalization
- Pet-pet introductions
- Fears and phobias
- Separation distress
- Compulsive disorders
- Senior dog behavioral changes
- And more…
Appointments with Dr. Valli
- Call us to schedule a consultation. Dr. Valli sees appointments on Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays online via Zoom Video-Conferencing. We require a $100 reservation deposit which will be applied to the total cost of the consult. Please call us at 503.336.1202 to make the $100 deposit with a credit card.
- You will be asked to fill out our online Dog Behavior History Form. Please submit the form no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Cancellation policy: We understand that life happens, and things can change suddenly or unexpectedly, leaving you unable to attend your scheduled appointment. Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the deposit can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled a second time, the deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the deposit is not refunded
During the consult, Dr. Valli will spend some time observing your dog and clarifying any questions she may have from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. Following this, she will…
- Help you understand your dog’s behavior,
- Discuss diagnosis and prognosis of the problem behaviors,
- Discuss treatment options with you, including immediate environmental management solutions, and a brief description of behavior modification techniques as appropriate. The techniques described will be progressive, compassionate, and minimally invasive
- Discuss follow-up recommendations based on you and your pet’s needs
After the consultation, Dr. Valli will send you a summary of the consultation findings and send a copy to your regular veterinarian as well to keep them updated as part of your pet’s behavioral health team. Follow-up behavior modification classes and sessions are often recommended for treatment, and are available with one of our Certified trainers.
The initial consultation includes phone and e-mail contact with Dr. Valli up to your pet’s first Progress Evaluation Recheck, which occurs between 4-6 weeks after the initial assessment depending on the dog’s behavioral conditions and treatment plan. After this, patients are seen every 3-6 months depending on the complexity of their cases.
|Behavioral Health Assessment (At Behavior Center)*||$315, up to 1 hour|
|Behavior Progress Evaluation (For existing clients, at Behavior Center)*||$225, up to 1 hour|
|Additional pet with problem directly related to primary pet’s problem(for example two dogs that are fighting)||$85|
* Includes email and phone support until the time of your dog’s next recommended Progress Evaluation.
**Please contact us for our travel zone.
Behavior Modification Help
We understand that implementing behavior treatment can be challenging to do on your own. This is especially true for dogs with multiple or complicated behavior problems. Having an experienced professional help guide you through and trouble-shoot dog behavior modification can significantly improve the speed and quality of the treatment outcome.
To help provide the best chances of successful treatment, we offer a range of options to assist you in implementing your dogs behavioral treatment. Which options Dr. Valli recommends to you depends a number of factors including:
- The dog behavior problems that we are addressing
- The severity of the problem behaviors
- Your experience with dog training
- Your experience with the recommended dog behavior modification techniques
- The temperament of your dog
All of our therapy options implement pet-friendly and effective positive reinforcement techniques, even for the most challenging dog behaviors.
Behavior Therapy Packages
Behavior therapy packages are available to clients who would like one-on-one hands-on help implementing the treatment plan outlined by Dr. Valli. These sessions are tailored to you and your individual pets. Behavior therapy sessions are a great choice if you would benefit from focused attention or you have a variable schedule.
Therapy sessions are typically run by our Certified Professional Dog Trainers. These sessions are approximately 30 minutes long and are usually scheduled to take place every 1-2 weeks. These sessions allow for focused training that benefit both pets and their people without overwhelming them with information.
Sometimes a group class is a great option to help pets’ problem behavior. Some of our classes are open to the general public as well as Synergy’s Veterinary Behavior patients, while others are especially designed to support Dr. Valli’s clients. See the Group Class tab to see our current selection of classes.