Vet Care Recovery Program
Do you stress about taking your pet to the vet? Is your dog or cat scared or aggressive at the vet’s office or during home care? Has their behavior prevented them from receiving regular medical care?
It doesn’t have to be this way!
We help dogs and cats who are fearful or aggressive at the vet’s office become more comfortable with:
- Injections and Administering Medications
- Blood draws
- Nail trimming
- …and more!
During the initial Vet Care Consult, our Behavior Clinician will spend some time observing your pet and clarifying any questions arising from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. They will help you understand your pet’s behavior and help you prioritize medical care so that your pet can be kept up to date while keeping your pet’s emotional and behavioral health in mind.
After the consultation, you and your primary veterinarian will receive a summary of the consultation findings and recommendations. This is to keep your primary veterinarian updated as part of your pet’s behavioral health team. Follow-up pre-vist medication trials and behavior modification sessions are usually recommended as part of treatment and are done with one of our Fear Free Certified team members. For some pets, sedation is recommended for stress-inducing procedures that the pet has not yet been taught to accept.
Sedated procedures that can be done during this program include:
- Physical examinations
- Labwork (eg blood and urine collection)
- Vaccinations (core vaccines)
- Nail trims / Clipping or shaving hair or mats
- Home Again Microchip implantation (also can read temperatures!)
Procedures we cannot do, and would refer you to your primary veterinarian, a specialist, or an ER:
- Wound care
- Emergency procedures
- Treatment for gastrointestinal distress (such as vomiting, diarrhea)
- Radiographs or ultrasound
- Dental procedures
Scheduling a Vet Care Consult
- Contact us to schedule a consultation at the Synergy Behavior Center in NW Portland. Prepayment of the consultation ($295) is required at the time of scheduling. Reduced pricing is available for existing patients.
- Fill out the online history form that is provided to you.
- Please submit the form no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Attend the consultation and discover how to start your pet along the path for less stressful veterinary visits!
Cancellation policy: Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – prepayment is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the prepayment can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is canceled or rescheduled a second time, the prepayment is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the prepayment is not refunded