Vet Care Program
Do you stress about taking your pet to the vet? Is your dog or cat scared or aggressive at the vet’s office or during home care? Has their behavior prevented them from receiving regular medical care?
It doesn’t have to be this way!
We help dogs and cats who are fearful or aggressive at the vet’s office become more comfortable with:
- Blood draws
- Nail trimming
- Administering eye or ear medication
- …and more!
During the initial Vet Care Consult, our Behavior Clinician will spend some time observing your pet and clarifying any questions she may have from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. Following this, she will…
- Help you understand your pet’s behavior,
- Help prioritize what behavioral and medical treatments to focus on first to most quickly allow your pet to be brought or kept up to date on medical care.
- Discuss immediate and long-term behavioral treatment to help your pet towards being able to be comfortable with care at your primary vet. Depending on the patient’s needs, this may include sedated examinations and procedures in the meantime to keep your pet up to date on preventive care during behavioral treatment.
After the consultation, you and your primary veterinarian will receive a summary of the consultation findings and recommendations to keep them updated as part of your pet’s behavioral health team. Follow-up pre-vist medication trials and behavior modification sessions are usually recommended for treatment and are done with one of our Fear Free Certified team members.
Sedated procedures that can be done during this program include:
- Physical examinations
- Labwork (eg blood and urine collection)
- Vaccinations (core vaccines)
- Nail trims
- Clipping/shaving hair or mats
- Anal gland expression
- Home Again Microchip implantation (also can read temperatures!)
Procedures we cannot do, and would refer you to your primary veterinarian, a specialist, or an ER:
- Wound care
- Emergency procedures
- Treatment for gastrointestinal distress (such as vomiting, diarrhea)
- Radiographs or ultrasound
- Dental procedures
Scheduling a Vet Care Consult
- Contact us to schedule a consultation at the Synergy Behavior Center in NW Portland. Prepayment of the consultation ($175) is required at the time of scheduling.
- Fill out the online history form that is provided to you.
- Please submit the form no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Attend the consultation and discover how to start your pet along the path for less stressful veterinary visits!
Cancellation policy: Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – prepayment is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the prepayment can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is canceled or rescheduled a second time, the prepayment is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the prepayment is not refunded